Y Diabetes Prevention Program
NEW CLASS STARTING JULY 10 AT 6:30PM!
Contact Pam Heaton at 856-691-0030 ext. 118 or at firstname.lastname@example.org to see if you qualify!
YMCA Diabetes Prevention Program
Take control of your health today
Did you know that nearly 29 million children and adults in the United States have diabetes? In fact, diabetes is a leading cause of heart disease, stroke, blindness, kidney disease and nerve disease.
The YMCA's Diabetes Prevention program helps those at high risk adopt and maintain healthy lifestyles and reduce their chances of developing type 2 diabetes.
The YMCA Diabetes Prevention program is based on the landmark Diabetes Prevention program funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), which showed that by eating healthier, increasing physical activity and losing a small amount of weight, a person with prediabetes can prevent or delay the onset of type 2 diabetes by 58%.
In the Y's Diabetes Prevention Program, a trained lifestyle coach will introduce topics in a supportive, small group, classroom environment, while encouraging participants as they explore how healthy eating, physical activity and behavior changes can benefit their health over the course of 16 one-hour sessions. Topics covered include nutrition, getting started with physical activity, overcoming stress, staying motivated, and more. After the initial 16 core sessions, you will meet monthly for up to a year for added support to help them maintain progress.
CAN I PARTICIPATE?
To qualify for the Y's Diabetes Prevention Program, participants must have a BMI > 25 and have been diagnosed with prediabetes or at high risk for developing type 2 diabetes.
A diagnosis of prediabetes includes:
- HbA1c between 5.7 and 6.4%
- Fasting plasma glucose between 100-125 mg/dl
- Random or casual blood glucose level of 2-hour Plasma Glucose between must be 140-199mg/dl
- Physician diagnosis of prediabetes
High risk of developing type 2 diabetes includes (must have at least 2 risk factors):
- Blood pressure is 140/90 or higher
- Elevated cholesterol levels
- Participates in physical activity less than two times per week
- Has or had a parent or sibling with diabetes
- Has been diagnosed with prediabetes
- Had gestational diabetes (diabetes during prenancy), or given birth to a baby weighing more than 9pounds
- 45 years of age or older
INTERESTED IN LEARNING MORE?
- Find out more about the program or to learn if you qualify
- Learn when the next session begins
- Click HERE for additional information regarding the Y Diabetes Prevention Program
- Visit the YMCA of USA Diabetes Prevention website for other information by clicking HERE
Contact Pamela Heaton:
Phone: 856-691-0030 ext. 114
Please note: This is a prevention only program, if you are currently diagnosed with diabetes, you are not eligible to enroll.