Child Abuse Prevention
Child Protection Information
Experts estimate one in 10 children - or 400,000 each year - will experience child sexual abuse before their 18th birthday. At the Y, we know that ending child sexual abuse takes a cooperative community effort. That's why we've partnered with Darkness to Light, a nationally recognized nonprofit organization and creators of the award-winning Stewards of Children™ curriculum. Prevention training for staff, volunteers and parents creates a culture of awareness. This program teaches adults to recognize the signs of sexual abuse in children, identify unsafe behaviors by adults and react responsibly if warning signs exist. Prevention training for adults creates an environment with much less opportunity for those who may offend
As you know, at the Cumberland Cape Atlantic YMCA, child protection is our number one priority. Our goal is to help educate parents and children on how to be safe from child abuse in any environment with the skills they learn at our Y. Our team trained on comprehensive and innovative practices around child safety to ensure your children are safe in our care.
- YMCA employees undergo a background check prior to hiring, and they must provide at least four references.
- Volunteers are screened using social media and internet searches, which include The National Sex Offender Registry. Volunteers must complete a two staff behavioral interview process and provide four references prior to volunteering.
- Daily our members and guests identification are scanned through the web-based Raptor system; which integrates with The National Sex Offender Registry.
- YMCA employees must complete comprehensive online and in-person mandatory child abuse prevention training annually.
- YMCA volunteers must complete a comprehensive online training.
- Should any allegation arise, the YMCA will proactively work with the authorities and all parties involved responding in a prompt, thorough and empathetic manner.
- The Cumberland Cape Atlantic YMCA maintains a zero tolerance policy toward child abuse and child endangerment, and staff are to report any questionable behavior they see, or violations of the Staff/Volunteer Code of Conduct.
- To ensure we continuously uphold the highest standards in child safety and protection, we have a Certified Praesidium Guardian on staff and utilize Praesidium’s Know Your Score Assessment tool. Praesidium is a consulting firm that specializes in abuse prevention and risk management.
While we cannot eliminate all threats, we want to do what we can to ensure that the children in our care are safe. When entering the Y all members, participants, and guests must have a valid picture ID that will be scanned through a national child abuse database. If a sex offender match occurs, the YMCA reserves the right to cancel the membership, end program participation, and remove visitation access.
We appreciate your cooperation.
Child Protection During a Crisis
In response to the unique challenge of keeping kids safe during this time, this training helps parents and caregivers navigate through the unusual circumstances they may be facing due to our current global health crisis. The training, provided at no cost, takes 30 minutes and can be taken online at any time.
For more information on additional training or if you have any questions contact email@example.com
Click the links below for more online resources